At Blackbourn TV we respect the privacy of visitors to our website (www.blackbourntv.co.uk) and store. This policy is concerned with how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have over your personal information.
Blackbourn TV is a family owned and operated independent electrical retailer and service centre, also offering home installation services relating to TV, aerial, satellite and networking, catering for the needs of domestic and commercial clients throughout Kent and S.E. London
We take our duty to process your personal information very seriously. This policy explains how we collect, manage, use and protect your personal information.
We may change this document from time to time to reflect the latest view of what we do with your information. Please check back frequently; you will be able to see if changes have been made by the date it was last updated.
Refer to the sections below for more details on how and why we use your personal information:
- Who are we?
- What personal information we collect and how we use it
- Legitimate interests
- Sharing your information
- Retaining your information
- Your details on the web
- What are your rights?
- How to contact us
Who are we?
Blackbourn TV is an independent partnership AV retailer, repairer and installer.
What personal information we collect and how we use it
What we need
Blackbourn TV is what’s known as the ‘controller’ of the personal information you provide to us. We will usually collect basic personal information about you like your name, postal address, telephone numbers and email address.
We will be very clear with you that we wish to collect such information, our reason for collecting such information, and we would only do so with your consent.
Why we need it
We collect your personal information to enable us to provide services requested by you, for warranty purposes and to maintain a service and/or sales history for you.
The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with a more personalised service. You don’t have to disclose any of this information to browse our website.
Sometimes, with your consent, we will process your personal information to provide you with information about our work or our activities that you have knowingly requested or are expecting.
Blackbourn TV does not use any personal data for unsolicited telephone, email or postal marketing purposes e.g. Newsletters, Sales or special offers,
but we will from time to time update our own social media.
On other occasions, we may process personal information when we need to do this to fulfil a contract (for example, to complete agreed works) or where we are required to do this by law or other regulations.
Blackbourn TV also processes your information when it is in our legitimate interests to do this and when these interests do not override your rights. Those legitimate interests may include historical service or purchase information . Please see the section on ‘Legitimate Interest’ for more information.
How we obtain your details
We will also hold information about you so that we can respect your preferences for being contacted by us.
We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
When you provide it to us directly.
When you provide permission to other organisations to share it with us. e.g. Twitter, Facebook by clicking “like” or “Follow” Blackbourn TV
All the personal information we process is processed within the EEA. However for the purposes of IT hosting and maintenance your information may be situated outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). This will be done in accordance with guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you would like to change the way you hear from us or no longer wish to, then call us or use the contact form on our ‘Contact Us’ page.
We have a number of lawful reasons that mean we can use your personal information. One of these is something called ‘legitimate interests’. Broadly speaking Legitimate Interests means we can process your personal information if:
We have a genuine and legitimate reason, and we are not harming any of your rights and interests.
We use this lawful reason primarily to manage progress of current, forthcoming, or previously completed works and purchases.
Sharing your information
We do not share your information with any other organisations or individuals unless we are obliged to by law, for purposes of national security, taxation and criminal investigations and in the following instances:
- If you have agreed or requested that we do so.
- When we use other companies to provide services on our behalf, e.g. processing, mailing or delivering orders, sending mail and emails, customer analysis, assessment, when using auditors/advisors or processing credit/debit card payments.
- To our appointed contractors with your prior consent.
- If we merge with another organisation to form a new entity, information may be transferred to the new entity.
- We may disclose aggregate statistics about our site visitors, supporters, customers and sales to describe our services and operations to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics won’t include any personally identifying information.
- And, we will never sell, rent or pass your personal information to other organisations unless authorised to do so by you.
Retaining your information
We hold your information only as long as necessary for each reason that we use it. We have provided some examples of the time we will keep your information in this paragraph but you can contact us for more information.
If you make a purchase from us, we will keep the purchase information for a period of at least seven years for accounting purposes.
Basic information may be held for longer periods when relating to purchases, repairs or installations. Information you supply will not be updated without your consent, but enables us to access historic intelligence of works or products to assist us in providing the most appropriate solution to your current request.
This policy explains what cookies are, how Blackbourn TV uses them on our website and what you can do to manage how they are used.
Cookies and how they benefit you
Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you’d expect.
- Remember your settings during and between visits.
- Improve the speed/security of the site.
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook.
- Continuously improve our website for you.
How long do cookies last?
When a web server sends a cookie, it asks your browser to keep that particular cookie until a certain date and time. These dates can be:
- Some date in the future – which might be a few minutes or a few hours from now (to track something like your shopping cart in an online store). The cookie might expire many years in the future, to keep track of your browser for a long time.
- When you close your browser – this is called a session cookie, the next time you start your browser these will have vanished.
- Some date in the past – this is how the server asks a browser to remove a previously-stored cookie.
Anonymous visitor statistics cookies
Advertising or targeting cookies
These types of cookies are used to deliver adverts which will be more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and to help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. They are normally placed by advertising networks with the organisation’s permission. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Targeting or advertising cookies will often be linked to site functionality provided by the other organisation.
We use ‘Advertising’ cookies on our website to:
Link to social networks, like Facebook, who may use information to provide targeted advertising to you on other websites.
Social website cookies
So you can easily ‘Like’ or ‘Share’ our content on social network sites, we have like buttons on our site at the bottom of each page.
The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks.
Turning cookies off
You can usually switch cookies off by adjusting your browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies. Doing so, however, will likely limit the functionality of ours and a large proportion of the world’s websites as cookies are a standard part of most modern websites.
What are your rights?
You have a number of rights about how the personal information you provide can be used. These are:
- Transparency over how we use your personal information (right to be informed).
- The ability to request a copy of the information we hold about you, which will be provided to you within one month (right of access).
- Update or amend the information we hold about you if it is wrong (right of rectification).
- Ask us to stop using your information (right to restrict processing).
- Ask us to remove your personal information from our records (right to be ‘forgotten’)
- Object to the processing of your information for marketing purposes (right to object).
- Obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes (right to data portability).
- Not be subject to a decision when it is based on automated processing (automated decision making and profiling).
If you would like to know more about your rights under the data protection law, you can find out more at the Information Commissioners Office website.
Remember, you can change the way you hear from us or withdraw your permission for us to processing your personal information at any time by using the form on our ‘Contact Us’ page.
How to contact us
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal information, you can contact our proprietors who will investigate the matter. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal information in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
If you wish to talk to us about anything in the policy or the information we hold about you please contact us:
By telephone: 01795 471581
By email: email@example.com
By post: Blackbourn TV, 31 High Street, Sittingbourne, Kent. ME10 4AW
This document was last updated: 5th June 2018